Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Art Journal Page Using Authentique "Playful" Paper Collection

It's Susan Tidwell here to share another project I created with the Authentique "Playful" paper collection I received in my LBH Media Team packet this month. These papers were so fun and colorful and a joy to work with - and, they are available at the LBH!


I decided to use these papers on my weekly Documented Life Project art journal spread for Week 25 (June 20).  The Documented Life Project is a year-long art journal/planner challenge conceived by five talented artists and is in it's second year. You can read more about it here if you are interested. There is a different overall theme each month and every week an art challenge and journal prompt are issued. The challenge is to use these as inspiration for your weekly journal page.

The theme for June was Travel Journaling. The June 20 art challenge was to be inspired by your hometown; the journal prompt was "there's no place like home."  This is the page I created for that week.


I had just enough Authentique papers left over from my previous projects to make the five houses which represent the five places I've lived. I was born in Vermont and then, once married, moved to Missouri then California and New Mexico before finally arriving in Texas in 1999.  I also used the hexagonal chipboard pieces for two windows in the houses. I computer-generated the state names as well as the title: "Wherever we are together, that is home."

The sky and grass backgrounds were painted with Dylusions and Dina Wakley paints, mostly scraped on with an old gift card - my favorite technique for applying paints! I also used stamps with black Archival ink and white paint on a piece of shelf liner to create the textures in the background.

For the week's "calendar" area I painted a large scalloped border, doodled smaller scallops and cut up an old calendar for the numbers. I used a tiny day stamp from Maya Road for the days and documented each day with a permanent marker.

I am really enjoying this project and am happy to say that I have been able to keep up with each week. It is a great way to document this year in an artsy way.  If anyone is interested in seeing past weeks' spreads, you can find them on my blog here: www.susan-artfulmusings.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and for visiting our blog!